The term foodie implies a level of effort in all things food - trends, sourcing, following food professionals, etc. - that I just don't give it. I love to eat, I love to cook and I talk about it way too much. So, for my friends and family, here are some of the places I've gone, food I've cooked and fun facts to know and tell I thought you might enjoy!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Clementine has got a new chef and soon we have to go to Highlandtown to eat Romey's food

I went to Clementine on Wednesday and host Andy told me that there was a new chef in the kitchen. I froze and tried not to panic. Andy, always observant, was quick to assure me that Jeremy was still with the Clempire - on May 17th, they'll be opening up a new spot at the Creative Alliance.  Whew!!  And yay for Jeremy!  A new adventure for him!

The wonderful Jeremy Price.

Those who know me know I think a lot of Jeremy and all the guys in the kitchen here, so this was no minor bit of panic.  Fortunately, the Creative Alliance is only a small schlep down to Highlandtown, and I need not deprive myself of Romey's cooking (about which I will undoubtedly wax poetic in future posts).

The new chef is Jill Snyder - and Wednseday was her first night.  She's been around B'more - the Red Maple, Woodbury Kitchen and even made an appearance on Top Chef.

Do I have any pics of the food at this auspicious occasion?  Did I take good notes about the food? Of course not!  I didn't know I'd be starting this blog! C'est la vie.  (And heck, I don't know if I'll even be any good at blogging about food!) This particular post is more to let you know about Jeremy's great opportunity and to welcome Jill to the kitchen at Clementine.

A little background - I have a tendency to just let the kitchen send out whatever it wants to - the first time I did it was because I was brain dead after work and couldn't make a decision - and I got something fabulous in return.  It got easier and easier after that to turn it over to the pros.  Besides, how much risk is there really? You know the chef isn't going to send something that stinks and I've now tried, and loved, many a dish I might not have ordered otherwise!

I heard Jill was a little nervous about this but that the staff told her not to worry, I'll try anything. (Besides, Tim, Chris, Chad and Matt were backing her up that night! Relax, you've got a good crew!) She whipped up a bluefish with crackling skin and melting interior and laid it on a bed of amazingly dressed dandelion greens.  Excellent!  And, as is so often true, I wanted to keep eating, but not something sweet - so I asked that she recommend an appetizer... and she made something not on the menu!  It was a really cool little toast, house made bologna and egg concoction.  Sounds simple, was sooooo much more.  They need to get that on the brunch menu!!  Yummm!

Jill Snyder - from the Red Maple, to Woodbury Kitchen, 
to my very own neighborhood Clementine.

So, welcome to Jill, I'm looking forward to you working with the Clemteam. And Romey, I'll be by Clementine as often as I can until you make me hike down to Highlandtown to enjoy your cookin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment