The term foodie implies a level of effort in all things food - trends, sourcing, following food professionals, etc. - that I just don't give it. I love to eat, I love to cook and I talk about it way too much. So, for my friends and family, here are some of the places I've gone, food I've cooked and fun facts to know and tell I thought you might enjoy!

Monday, May 7, 2012

It's the 7th of May, but what the heck!

Oh, yeah,! Sister, Lori, and I made sure to pop in at Los Amigos on Cinco de Mayo! No pics, but this should make up for it: Nice to see the local folks getting some press! (And, yes, Mama Rosa is as tiny as she looks!)  I've been going here since they opened. Actually, this is where Steve and I dated and spent, I think, every anniversary. So when we broke up and Mama Rosa, Maria and Marco would ask "Where's Papa?" it was tough. At first I could say, "He's working," because he was... and slowly I stopped going.

But I'm back! Friends Carol and Sarah wanted to go a few weeks ago and then Sarah and I stopped by for some refreshment a couple of times. I popped on the intertubes to see what they'd been up to and saw reviews indicating quality had become somewhat inconsistent (I don't know, I wasn't there if it had, see above). But, if my visits over the last couple of weeks are any indication, they took the reviews to heart and are back in the swing of things - everything in my last four visits have been delicious.

I love the Peruvian offerings on the menu.  Carnitas are moist, savory chunks of pork that have been slow cooked in beer and herbs and finished off under heat for bits of crispy exterior.  Yummm... this is not dry pork loin but pork, with just enough of the flavorful fat the good Lord gave it, to melt in your mouth and make your tongue happy.  I always order a side of pico de gallo - an awesome condiment for many of the dishes here. Many of the dishes are served with refried beans, about which I can not say enough.  I could eat a plate of just these.  I read a review of Los Amigos years ago that said you could tell they're made in a Latin kitchen, slowly, with lots of love and lard!  That's OK by me!

Lomo Saltado is also a wonderful.  Strips of beef, tomato and onion sauteed in olive oil and herbs and served over french fries.  When I first saw the menu item it took me aback - french fries???? So I asked.  Well, duhhhh... Peru is home of the potato.  Fried potatoes there are called french fries here.  Very, very yummy. And surprisingly combination of rich on the tongue but light on the tummy. How is that possible with french fries in the mix?

Speaking of potatoes, Sarah agreed that Papa Hauncaina, broiled 'tater topped with a creamy cheese sauce and piquant Peruvian olives is a winner:
Don'tch love those tablecloths?

And the seafood quesadilla and burrito here rock.  Fresh fish, scallops and shrimp lovingly sauced and smothered.  Can't even see the burrito, can you?  Well, all the toppings work with this!  The guac is wonderfully fresh. Just smothered - yum! I usually can't finish the burrito and look forward to the leftovers!
Note size of shrimp.

For dessert, the flan is usually a good choice.  I understand Mama Rosa makes them herself.  Occasionally there's a miss and you can tell they were done in too shallow a water bath (it only affects texture, not taste), but usually it's spot on.  Note:  I may be a little picky here because egg custard is one of my personal go-to desserts and, if I do say so myself, mine are awesome.  The whipped cream and cherry aren't necessary, but are, indeed, festive:
Another great tablecloth, Tres Leche and Flan.

The last two Fridays they've had Gil Bruns playing.  Love having live music with my meals!  We've heard selections from Jimmy Buffett, Beatles, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Snow Patrol and many more.  As much as the music, I loved his interaction with the crowd.  Last Friday, Happy Birthday was sung for someone and, as soon as we were finished, a young man ran up and said it was his dad's birthday, too.  Gil asked what his dad's name was and the young man replied, "Daddy!!"  Laughing, Gil said, "Of course it is!" and led us in a chorus of "Happy Birthday, dear Daddy."  Later, the same young man bolted up and said he knew a song. Gil let him sing it and helped him.  It was the sweetest "Twinkle, Twinkle" and the crowd just loved it!
El Gil and his protege.

Marco on bar duty.

Oh, I should mention that before my hiatus, I loved the ceviche here!  I didn't get it in the last few visits so I'm sure we'll have another post when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment